Wednesday 14 October 2015

Taipei Trip: Tamsui District

On second day, I decided to travel alone in Tamsui since my husband has a meeting to attend :( Tamsui or Danshui is the northern city of Taipei which was the centre of shipping in 19th century. It has many local attractions, historical spots and food!

It was easy to go there. I took a subway from Zhongshan station and change once at Beitou station to Tamsui station. All you need is a magic card: EASYCARD!!



There are a lot of alternatives to pay the subway, but we choose this card since it is more convenient to use: no need to go back and forth to buy the tickets, can be recharged (with money..), match our need that does not have many travels using bus and subway in a day and even can be used in the convenience stores. There are two types of EASYCARD: with deposit or without deposit. Ours is without deposit. If you want a card with deposit, you need to go to Ximen station to buy it ;)

Back to the journey.....

After I arrived, I could see the old Tamsui station dominated with red bricks color.


I could see the map of the attractions at the station's main entrance.


Here are some places that I've been visited:

1. Tamsui Wharf
   A fishing spot near the Tamsui river with mountain around; famous for its beautiful sunset scenery. Unfortunately, I could not experience it as I came during morning and could not stay until night :(

PS: If you are hungry, don't be sad, there are a lot of places for eating nearby. However, mostly will open about 10-11 AM. To kill the time, you also can rent a bike and take a boat tour to Fort San Domingo with your EASYCARD^^



2. Aletheia University and Oxford College
  One of the oldest higher education institutes in Taipei, founded by G.L. Mackay.
I walked from the Tamsui Wharf to this place, I found many interesting places and I could see how local people live.

PS: If you could not stand hot weather during summer, I suggest to take a bus since the attraction places are quite far each other.


3. Old street of Tamsui
 The street is filled with shops for decades.



 The famous iron eggs and snacks made from fish...


I tried a taiwanese cookie, outside is crisp and inside containing egg's yolk? and dried meat. Quite interesting taste! There are many other choices even for vegetarian.


I could find temples too... (Sometimes, they will have performance)



In the middle of the street, I went to the Tamsui Red Castle, a colonial building located in a hill area ( you need to climb! Up up!!) which now serve as a restaurant with the best view in Tamsui. 


Next is shopping time! Time is almost 12 AM and the stores in the area near station are open. They sells many stuff from ginger tea, souvenirs, nougats, traditional cookies, fruits, grilled squid etc. Don't worry if you cannot speak Chinese. Be confident and speak English! Some people will understand haha..or use your body language and calculator to tell the price!


Before go back to Zhongshan station, I tried another brand of milk bubble tea but for me, the C**o brand milk tea is closer my style ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment